After years of teaching percussion ensemble, marching band, indoor drum line, and private percussion lessons, Andy Kruspe has combined his passion for the bodhrán with methods and techniques that he learned outside of Irish traditional music.
The result is a comprehensive and progressive technique book that is designed to improve the tipping and voicing skills of beginning, intermediate and advanced players.
This book includes:
- Instructions on how to hold the drum and tipper
- Explanations of stroke types
- Separate sections on tipping and voicing
- Numerous pages of patterns for reels, jigs, polkas, and slipjigs
- Additional pattern sections influenced by drum set and other "world" patterns
- A CD with 235 mp3's- one example recording of each exercise in the book
- Access to online videos that demonstrate several of the concepts in the book
- Suggested curriculum routes for students and teachers
The book is great. Really well laid out with clear concepts and instructions. It's honestly the most comprehensive resource I've seen for bodhrán.
Martin O’Neill (Danú, Julie Fowlis, former All-Ireland Champion)
I’ve never seen a bodhrán tutorial book which explained the complexities of the instrument in such accurate and detailed descriptions before! This book is well worth the purchase no matter what standard you are at or whether you just have an interest in the bodhrán.
Colm Phelan (Goitse, former All-Ireland Champion)